The fifth of December is the day we celebrate Sinterklaas in The Netherlands. ‘Kruidnoten’ are the small round cookies that Sinterklaas is handing out to all the sweet children. These bite sized cookies are a traditional delicacy eaten during this holiday.
The traditional recipe:
- 75 grams self-raising flour (sieved)
- 40 grams soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 tablespoon speculaas spice powder (or mixed spice)
- 1 tablespoon full fat milk
- 1 pinch of salt
How to make the perfect ‘Kruidnoot’:
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Remove baking tray from oven and line with greaseproof paper/baking sheets.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and knead until you have a smooth, firm dough.
- Make small balls (the size of a marble) and place these, generously spaced, on the baking sheet.
- Put in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes. Let them cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy your Sinterklaas party with delicious home made ‘Kruidnoten’!